Sunday, May 7, 2023

Flèche Report: Team Quartier Lanternes Rouges

Paul Foley One of the vast highlights from this years Quartier Lantern Rouge Team Flèche ride, to me, was our many sightings of animals along the way.  We started with a rafter of Turkeys with the Tom’s in full display attempting to entice some hens.  As always there were glorious song birds and a few eagles along the way.  We also saw pelicans and herons around some of the lakes.  Early in our ride, a trio of horses danced with us along a stretch of dirt road before disappearing into the trees.  Many deer and elk were seen in various locations.  Our night ride into Hudson saw tiny field mice scatter along the road as our bike lights startled them from their usual routine.  We even road with cows grazing along the sides of the South Boulder Creek Trail, and also providing obstacles to avoid on the path itself.  Perhaps the most significant animals were the many bunnies who seemed to delight in the sight of our team mascot Egon Bernal, whom our team captain carried for the entire ride.




Pascal Ledru The highlight of Flèche numero six happened even before the ride started! John, being so considerate and remembering my fall last year in Pawnee grassland where the team almost left me for dead, gifted me with... a bicycle belt! Even more considerate, the box actually contained a can of Skrewball Peanut Butter whiskey (never had it before and highly recommended) ... which we enjoyed at mile 150.

Debbie Bush - The highlight for me in this Fleche, though my teammates may not have believed it, was riding on the beautiful dirt roads that our Capitan chose for our ride. Instead of using 25'' tires, I used my Unicorn 30'' tires. I could feel the freedom of riding without fear of  falling, even at night and have gotten by surprise riding among cows on the South Boulder Creek Trail in the early morning. And the best of all really, it is to be riding in a team where everybody cares about each other, laugh together (these guys kept me laughing all the time), go throught the challenge together, and share the passion of cycling.


Mike Turek (Captain) - Agree with my teammates;  animals, route and butter whiskey were all fantastic…all while celebrating L. John’s big 50. But, what made this flèche super special was the positive attitude the team always had no matter the adversity.  (Sandy dirt in the dark, car buzzing us, late night fatigue, horses and cows blocking us, spilled milk). As my wife has said many times, I’m fortunate to have such good folks ride with me.

Encountering JLE pre-riding the 300k


At the Louisville finish!

Team Quartier Lanternes Rouges
Mike Turek (Captain)
Debbie Bush
Paul Foley
Pascal Ledru
John Mangin

No comments:

Post a Comment